Saturday, June 21, 2008

Exceprts from Student Reflection Journals - 1

Enough of me and my thoughts. Let’s take a look at this experience from the voices of the UTSA students. The following are excerpts from student journals. In the interest of confidentiality, and as agreed upon by the group, no names of students will be attached to the quotes. Before we left we talked about how people move along a U-curve when they encounter and live in a new culture. It starts out with excitement and wonder, but then people can quickly get frustrated with differences. Students talk about the little things that annoy them ("cucarachas"), and describe some critical moments which are highly stressful occurrences. As students accept these and move up, they start to move up the curve again.

The journal reflections below reveal how the students are on various points of the U-curve – sometimes a single student can be on different points of it within a single day. The readings we did prior to departure gave us a helpful way to talk about and deal with things as they have arisen. So far, the experience has been overwhelming positive for everyone.

There are a lot of excepts, so I'll be posting different ones on different days, plus students are still journaling so there will be many more. The ones below start with Bangkok and take us through the welcome ceremony at Hadsamran High School.


Bangkok
Student 2 – We went to some amazing places! We went to see two really cool temples – the Royal Palace and the Reclining Buddha. … The night market was neat – it had some of the exotic foods I had seen on the travel channel.

Student 3 – Arriving in Bangkok was so exhilarating. It was amazing when we went to the temples. For one, the figures/statues were so elaborate and beautiful that I was in awe for most of the time. I had only seen these temples in movies so actually being here was incredible. … There is just so much history in these places that it makes me wonder what it was like during that time period.

Student 5 – The [temple’s] structure is teaming with colors of every shade and inbetween. You almost need sunglasses from the glare of the gold paint or leaf. I was just an amazing place to see and learn the purpose of this Wat’s use and its importance among the Royal family and to the Thai people.

Student 7 – Bangkok is a busy place! The sights and sounds are delightful to this visitor! … I am so ready to try new foods, see different things, and smell new aromas! Let the social/cultural U-curve begin!

Student 11 – Traffic is horrible in Bangkok. Plus these people drive crazy! … I took the tuk-tuk back to the hotel. Unforgettable experience! … [one of my cucarachas] is seeing children on motorcycles. Everywhere I turn, there is a motorcycle with more than one person aboard. I know I get worried about their safety because of my culture, but seeing this really bothers me. I have seen very young children, as young as 4 years old, riding the motorcycle with their parents. Every time I see them I always pray they don’t fall.

Student 12 – I pictured (Bangkok) as a large capital city similar to a city like Dallas or Houston. Instead of a modern shiny buildings though, I saw old, tattered buildings that remind me of "the bad side of town." Driving around in the taxi I saw the "ugly" buildings right next to some more modern ones. I find this odd. There can be an expensive shopping mall complete with high-end stores and a Starbucks, and right outside there will be a poor person selling fruit or old cell phones. … I am amazed at the detail in all of the temples. I don’t fully understand everything about the Buddhist religion, but I can appreciate the beauty of the various temples and figures.

Floating Market

Student 1 – The floating market made me realize I like being a slow deliberate shopper. Snap decisions and impulse buying make me nervous. Pushy sellers make me quit shopping. The experience was grand though. Folks in boats were selling food and would pull up next to our boat and ang on to it while they made and sold us spring rolls, fried bananas, fruits, taco looking things with marshmellow type cream inside, and drinks.

Student 2 – We went to the floating market. This was super cool. … I tried some really good exotic fruit in the market and had some really good spring rolls. … I used the bathroom – I had to pay 3 baht to get in a use a really gross toilet.

Student 3 – The colors were so lively, bright, vibrant, and vivid that I wanted to retain every one of them into my memories. I was just amazed that such a thing existed and I was there.

Student 4 – Initially the Bargaining made me feel uncomfortable. However, after negotiating with a few people I started to feel more confident. In the end I actually enjoyed talking vendors down and found humor in it.

Student 6 – Students definitely liked the shopping. The floating made it more exciting. I hope tey made a cultural connection.

Student 9 – Today was so much fun! We went to the floating market and tried so many interesting and arroy (that means delicious in Thai) foods. I think I am truly in love with Thai food. It was fun riding in the boat trying so many different varieties of fruit that don’t even exist in the U.S. I was also very touched by the kindness of our Thai hosts. Whenever we expressed interest in something, they were quick to buy it for us. We wanted to pay, but they wouldn’t let us!

Student 11 – The floating market was interesting. I had never had such an experience in my life! Bargaining was kind of difficult for me because I feel that the vendors need the money. But after awhile I started getting used to it.

Ayutthaya
Student 2 – The ruins were amazing! There were parts of Buddha (statues) scattered throughout the entire place. You could feel peace and serenity on these grounds. … So far my only cucaracha has been the ignorance for quietude in this country. It seems like at all of the temples and sacred grounds, everyone is quiet and perhaps connecting with Go. Then comes the group of loud Americans disrespecting the Thai culture. I’m sure I am guilty of it also but I think about it and if it was quiter I could have processed more.

Student 4 – Elephants and pizza. It was a good day.

Student 5 – Today we got to ride elephants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think after skydiving, this is the coolest thing I have ever done.

Student 8 – I got kissed by an elephant today! Ayuthaya – the elephants, ruins, shopping, food – Chan chop maak! [I like it a lot !]

Student 12 – The elephant rides were interesting. It was fun to take pictures and ride on the elephants, but I was trying to look into the elephants eyes to see if they were happy or sad. If I were forced to perform for people I didn’t know constantly or face being hit. I think it is pretty sad. I couldn’t read the elephants feelings though. I wonder if they’d be better off in the wild?

Welcome Ceremony in Trang – Hadsamran High School

Student 3 – I was so moved to see the welcome reception. I felt like someone famous, and the other girls said they felt the same way. It is interesting to see the contrast between the United States and Thailand as far as how they treat teachers. Teachers are highly respected in Thailand and in the States I feel that teaching is regarded as just an ordinary profession. It feels good to be regarded and treated with such esteem and respect!

Student 5 – We headed off to Hadsamrawittayakom High School where we were greeted by the warmest reception I had in my life. The students performed traditional Thai songs, did traditional dances from both the Northern and Southern regions of the country. What a great experience watching student demonstrate with pride their respect for religion, country, and king. It truly moved me to the brink of tears.

Student 6 – Everything at Hadsamran was beautiful and well put together.

Student 7 – The welcome ceremony was so nice. I just cannot believe how much they have gone out of the their way to make us feel welcomed. The dancing and lunch was so beautiful.

Student 9 – We had an amazing reception by the students! I think most of us were very touched! I felt like a celebrity as we were made the center of attention. The students performed beautiful dance ceremonies. As I was watching the young girls dance, I thought about how they must have rehearsed and practiced just for us! It made me feel special and guilty at the same time.

Student 10 – No wonder they call Thailand the "smiling country." When we got to the school, the celebration they threw for us was amazing! They are so generous and thoughtful. They treated us as if we were royalty.

Student 11 – At our arrival to Hadsamran we were greeted by everyone there! The students danced, sung, and played music for us. I loved it!

No comments: