Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Student journal excerpts - Schools and Teaching

The following are excerpts from student journals about their experiences at their schools and with teaching. Most of these were written after students had only taught for a day or two. Hope to post more on this topic in the next few days.

Student # 1 – The students were great and the lessons went well. I covered more then expected due to no electricity or CD player. I taught the first 2 hours with no fans or lights. Took the classes outside to help with the heat. I am definitely more in my element when teaching.

Student #1 – When we arrived at the school, the children chased our truck and surrounded it to greet me with “good morning!” They followed me and crowded around the office door to look at me. You would think I was a celebrity. One of the teachers brought flowers from her yard for my hair.

Student #2 – Values of Education: All the children stand up and say “good morning teacher” and they stare at you. You have to tell them to sit down. Everything is done slowly and you don’t have to worry about discipline problems. Everyone stays in their seats and does their work. Everyone takes their time and there is no rushing. … The students seem happy to be here. I like the environment of the school. It isn’t as intense as it is in the states.
Student 3 – I had my first day of teaching and it was a very neat experience. The school and classroom structure is very different than how it is in the United States. In Trang, it is a more relaxed and informal school environment. Students are left unsupervised for long periods of time. Other classrooms had no teachers, students were in the classrooms just interacting. … I also saw a lot of students outside helping with chores, playing on the playground, digging, running around, and just sitting around. … Another conclusion I made is that students can be trusted to be left unsupervised without getting into any kind of trouble, and are independent. If students were left unsupervised in the United States, hell will be raised, and not to mention lawsuits. In my opinion, I think we live in a very paranoid, uptight, and worrysome society. Again, cultures are very different, but at the same time this experience provides an opportunity to reflect on one’s values, beliefs, cultures, and standards. This is a good time to reflect and analyze our values since we are so far from home.

Student 4 – Today was my first day of teaching. I was very nervous during my first class and expected to the students to speak more [English]. … I taught my students basic greetings and colors. We played the racing game with colors and they really enjoyed it. … I look forward to teaching more tomorrow.

Student 6 – I hope my students are not disappointed in my “non-American” appearance.

Student 8 – The opening ceremony during the morning (at the high school) was quite impressive. The students were lined up, row after row, while different teachers talked in front. Keo introduced each of us and encouraged us (OK, forced!) us to say a few remarks. Classes went really well. I feel so energized when I’m with the kids, even when I sweat so profusely. The students are constantly laughing and smiling and they are very easily entertained by farang (foreign) teachers.

Student 9 – When I walked into my first class, I was so nervous. Any planning or rehersal that I did in my head went out the door. [but] the kids, they are so beautiful and eager to learn. I feel my nervousness and lack of confidence interfered with my ability to teach. When will teaching become more natural to me? Dr. Perrotta sat in on my class after lunch and she helped me so much. She gave me to the idea to do some games and it worked out beautifully! I was thrilled to see the excitement and smiles on the students’ faces. They were having fun!

Student 10 – Today was exciting but I was really nervous. The first class they gave me, the class was outside. I immediately realized how difficult it was going to be without a chalkboard, but Mai Pen Rai (no worries!). I used a notebook and was able to write the words on it. The students were hesitant to talk in front of the class, so I gave them stickers for speaking. When they saw the race car stickers, they immediately wanted to share! … Never having taught a whole lesson before really made me see how important it is to be prepared and how necessary it is to stray from the lesson plan if needed.

Student 11 – I taught my first class at 10:10 a.m. And boy did the time go by fast. I took me a couple of seconds to find out that they didn’t know much English. Well, there goes my lesson plans. I tried to come up with new ones. Right now the #1 thing is to teach them how to answer and ask questions.

Student 12 – I taught my first class this morning from 9:00 to 11:00. I was expecting 50 minutes max. My lesson went great but I feel that I had to improvise to fill the time. The students were very nice and took to me well even though I didn’t speak much Thai.

No comments: